Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Columbus Second Avenue Revitalization Project (MC 120)

Historical Note

The Jaeger Company submitted to the CSU Archives in 1999, the final documentation for thirteen historic properties recorded as the Second Avenue Revitalization Project. The project involved the development of a 54 acre tract on the north end of historic downtown Columbus by Total Systems Services, Inc. (TSYS), who purchased the tract from the city; the redevelopment is known as the TSYS Riverfront Campus.
A 1996 resources survey of the project area identified one National Historic Landmark district, Muscogee Mills, that was associated with the Columbus Historic Riverfront Industrial District, four residences listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and twenty other properties considered to be eligible for listing in the National Register. As a result of the TSYS Riverfront Campus Project, all historical properties located within the project area - with the exception of the antebellum Calhoun-Griffin-Mott house situated within the Muscogee Mills complex - have either been demolished or relocated.

Scope and Sequence

These materials are housed in one box with 13 folders, one for each property documented. Documentation may contain the following materials: written history and description, architectural data forms, measured drawings, sketch floor plans, large format black and white negatives, and slides.

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Columbus Second Avenue Revitalization Project Collection (MC 120) must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Columbus Second Avenue Revitalization Project Collection (MC 120)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

Donated to the Columbus State University by Total System Services, Inc. in 1996.

Box and Folder List

Box 1

Folder 1: Alexander-McGeehee-Woodall House
1543 Second Avenue

Folder 2: Columbus Ice and Cold Storage
1633 First Avenue

Folder 3: Jordan-Walton House
1523 Second Avenue

Folder 4: William P. And Peytonnia E. Hunt House
1527 Second Avenue

Folder 5: Richard W. and Susan G. Slade House
1531 Second Avenue

Folder 6: Dan Odom Building
101 Fifteenth Street

Folder 7: 2nd Avenue- 18th Street Historic District

Folder 8: Columbus Railroad Company Streetcar Barn
1635 Second Avenue

Folder 9: Columbus Tire Recapping Company
1520 First Avenue

Folder 10: Roberts Memorial Baptist Tabernacle
1711-1715 Second Avenue

Folder 11: Goodwear Tire Company
1544 First Avenue

Folder 12: Columbus Tire Recapping Company, Tire Warehouse
1522 First Avenue, rear

Folder 13: Slaughter- Cunningham Auto
15 Fourteenth Street