Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Muscogee County Retired Teachers Club Collection (MC 142)


Organizational Note

The Muscogee County Retired Teacher Club was organized in April of 1957 by five retired African-American teachers. The purpose of the club was “To retain fellowship, love and communication that would always exist between them.” The M.C.R.T. club served the Columbus community in many ways . Among its activities was to encourage black physicians to locate in Columbus, providing a welcome for those who did so. They visited nursing homes regularly. Entertainment such as programs and special parties would be given, and lapcovers and bibs were made for residents. Members also provided help in the community by paying bills, taking people to doctor's appointments, or shopping for food or clothing.


Scope and Content

This collection consists of two scrapbooks. They newspaper clippings, funeral programs and other documentation of the club and its members.

1980s-1990s 1 box (.3 l.f.)


Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Muscogee County Retired Teachers Club Records must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Muscogee County Retired Teachers Club Records (MC 142)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Gift of Mozell E. Buchanan and Mary G. McWhorter in 2000.


Box and Item List

Item 1 – Scrapbook, 1980s

Item 2 – Scrapbook, 1990s