Skip to Main Content

Columbus State University

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home Records (MC 22)


Organizational History

In 1840, “moved by a desire to be active”, a women's group from St. Luke's Methodist Church in Columbus, Georgia formed “The Ladies Educational and Benevolent Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Columbus”, working among the poor of Columbus and assisting in the education of deserving girls. The group was chartered by the State on December 27, 1845. In the same year the ladies built a Home for Destitute and Orphan girls, and built a frame building on the block-sized lot given to them by the City Council, bounded by 5th and 6th Avenues and 14th and 15th Streets. The building burned on December 16, 1852, and space was rented until the donation of a brick building donated to the group in 1854 by Richard Patten, Harry Hall, John Russe, John Jones and others. It was known as the Asylum for Female Orphans and Destitute Children. On February 15, 1854 the charter was amended to change the name of the group to The Ladies Educational and Benevolent Society of the City of Columbus. In April 1883 the City Council gave permission for the Society to subdivide their city block and sell the lots in order to purchase a new building. Part of the $11,000 raised went to buy a new building site and the rest was invested in other properties. In 1924 Colonel W. S. Shepherd bequeathed his family home, “Hill House” (also known as “Hillhouse”) and the eight acres on which it sat, to the society, with the stipulation that the property must be designated and maintained as the “Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Orphans' Home” for dependent orphan girls and could not be used for any other purpose. The name was officially changed on August 1, 1924 and the girls moved into “Hillhouse” on September 3 of that year. By 1963 the needs of the community had changed and the Society purchased the M. T. McDowell property on Double Churches Road, north of Columbus, to build a new campus. The newly renamed Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home, Incorporated occupied its new facility in June of 1965, which it still occupies.


Scope and Contents

These records detail the history of this philanthropic endeavor from its private origins to its transition into a state-funded agency.

1840-1971 5 boxes (3 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home Records must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home Records ( MC 22)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


These records were donated to the Archives in 1975.

Notes to Researchers

Box 5 is held with oversized materials.

A number of photographs, some identified, were seperated from Box 5 and are currently in folders 74 through 80 of the Historic Photographs Collection.

Box and Contents List

Box 1

Item 2 – Minutes. 1840-1888

Item 2 – Minutes. 1901-1906

Item 3 – Minutes. 1912-1921

Item 4 – Minutes. 1921-1926

Box 2

Item 1 – Minutes. 1926-1927

Item 2 – Minutes. 1928-1930

Item 3 – Minutes. 1937-1944

Item 4 – Minutes. 1947-1952

Folder 5 – Minutes, 1953-1957

Folder 6 - Minutes, 1957-1960

Folder 7 – Minutes, 1961-1963

Box 3

Folder 1 – A.E. Home for Girls Carnival Itinerary and Flyers, November 9, 1957

Folder 2 – Constitution and By-Laws of the Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Orphans Home, 1926, 1960, 1968; First Federal Savings and Loan Account Book, 1962

Folder 3 – Contents from Notebook #1, 1963-1964

Folder 4 – Contents from Notebook #2, no date

Folder 5 – Correspondence, Meeting Notes, and Receipt for goods relating to the A.E. Shepherd Home, 1891-1968; bulk n.d.

Folder 6 – Print drawing of A.E. Shepherd Home at 4th Ave and 15th Street, 1976

Folder 7 – Photographs of Children and Activities, 1950s
These photographs are mostly of the children touring the Armory and the army vehicles on site. More photographs are located in the Historic Photograph Collection.

Folder 8 – Record Book of children in Home, 1926-1932
This book contains names, ages, and other information about children that stayed at the home between 1926 and 1932.

Folder 9 – The Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home, 1945-1973, by Arlie Alcott, Local history 549, August 15, 1978. Copy of a student paper from Columbus College Collection, box 24, folder 2.

Box 4
Item 1 – Large Scrapbook, 1956-1959
Item 2 – Scrapbook. 1960-1963
Item 3 – Large Scrapbook, 1961-1967
Item 4 – Large Scrapbook, 1967-1971