Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Columbus Commissioners Report and Surveyor's Report of 1828 (SMC 107)

Organizational Note

Commissioners were appointed January 16, 1828 for the purpose of "laying a Town at the Coweta Falls in Muscogee County".  The commissioners were listed as Ignatius Few, Philip Alston, Edward L. Degrafenreid, James Halman and Elias Beall with William Few as chain carrier and Sidney Turner as axe man.  On the same date of January 16, 1828, while the Commissioners in Milledgeville were appointed to lay out and sell the lots in the Town of Columbus at the Cowetah Falls on the Chattahoochee River, E. L. Thomas was appointed surveyor, arriving at the Falls on the 27th January and "entered upon the duties of my office" on the 28th January, Monday.  (Note the differing spellings of Coweta.)

Scope and Content

This small collection consists of copies of the Minutes of the Board of Commissioners for the Town of Columbus, 1828 and a copy of the Surveyor's Report with notes and drawings completed by E .L. Thomas.  This small collection was added to the CSU Archives when the Columbus Public Library closed its archival materials in 2013 and donated the material to the CSU Archives. The collection was originally labelled MC 099 at the public library.

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Columbus Commissioners and Surveyor's Reports of 1828 (SMC 107)must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University.  Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Columbus Commissioners Report and Surveyor's Report of 1828 (SMC 107)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

This small collection was added to the CSU Archives when the Columbus Public Library closed its archival materials in the fall of 2013 and donated the material to the CSU Archives.

Note to Researchers

See also:

Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, (MC 9) box 5, folder 2

Box and Folder List

Folder 1 – Commissioners Report Town of Columbus, 1828

Folder 2 – Notes taken on the survey of the Reservation at the Cowetah Falls on the Chattahoochee river, and also of the Town of Columbus, commencing 30th January 1828.