Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

The Soil of the South Collection (SMC 35)


Organizational Note

According to the back page of the April, 1852 issue, “In May of 1850 a number of Planters living in Georgia and Alabama, met in Columbus, Georgia and formed themselves into an Agricultural Society. The advantages of such an association were at once apparent, and with the view to contribute as much as possible to agricultural improvement, it was determined, at a meeting of the Society in January, 1851 to establish an Agricultural Journal. As the result of that action, The Soil of the South, made its appearance in the month of March last.”

The Soil of the South was the official organ of the Southern Central Agricultural Association, based in Atlanta, Goeriga. The journal was published in Columbus, Georgia by T. Lomax and Co; its agricultural editor was James M. Chambers and its horticultural editor was Charles A. Peabody. The journal was published from March, 1851 until 1857. In 1856 it merged with The American Cotton Planter becoming the American Cotton Planter and the Soil of the South. Under this title it was published in Montgomery, Alabama by N. B. Cloud. The publication ceased in 1861.


Scope and Content

This collection consists of one issue of The Soil of the South. It is volume II, No. 4, published in Columbus, Georgia in April of 1852. There are 16 pages, numbered 241-256.

The journal addresses agricultural and horticultural matters. The longest article is entitled The Iron Interest in Georgia. Other articles include Experiments with Guano, Reasons Why Cotton Should Not be Planted Early, and Strawberry Blossoms.

The masthead features three separate scenes: 1. A train carrying bales of cotton, 2. A variety of farm implements and fruits of harvest, 3. A gentleman inspecting his cotton being picked. There are a few other illustrations in this issue.


Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the The Soil of the South Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

The Soil of the South Collection (SMC 35)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Purchased from Cather & Brown, Birmingham, Alabama in 1989.


Note to Researchers

See also: Copy of University of Georgia microfilm of The Soil of the South from vol. 1 (1851) through vol. 6 (1856), available in the CSU Archives research room. Georgia State University reports having another issue from volume 7 (1857).


Folder List

Folder1 – The Soil of the South, vol. II, no. 4, April, 1852