Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Gethsemane Baptist Church (SMC 40)


Organizational Note

According to the church's history, it was organized in 1920 under the leadership of Rev. Michael Williams. It was located on 15th Avenue at Cusseta Road. That building was destroyed by fire in 1923 and replaced in 1925. The church was incorporated in 1955 and the building renovated in 1956. In 1978 the present location was purchased at 242 Kendrick Avenue and occupied on November 13, 1978, its 59th anniversary.


Scope and Content

This collection consists of a one-page typed history of the church, covering from its founding in 1920 to the 1980s.

1989 1 folder (.1 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Gethsemane Baptist Church Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Gethsemane Baptist Church Collection (SMC 40)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Gift of the church in 1989.


Folder List

Folder 1 – History of the church from 1920 to the 1980s, 1989