Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Machine Operators (IATSE), Local Union No. 568, Columbus, Georgia (MC 20)

Organizational History

The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of theUnited States, Its Territories and Canada was originally chartered by the American Federation of Labor as the National Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees in 1893. The name has evolved over the course of over a century of geographic and craft expansion as well as technological advancement. The current title, adopted in 1995, more accurately reflects the full scope of the union's activities in the entertainment industry. Since the birth of the organization, stage hands and projectionists have been joined by a great variety of other crafts people in numerous branches of the entertainment industry, including motion picture and television production, product demonstration and industrial shows, conventions, facility maintenance, casinos, audiovisual, and computer graphics. The Columbus Local is no longer in existence, although there are Locals in Savannah, Atlanta and other areas of Georgia.

Scope and Contents

These materials detail the finances of the Local, as well as its administrative activities during a crucial period of change from silent to talking movies, and from the prosperity of the Roaring 20s to the austerity of the Great Depression, both of which had profound effects on employment, wages, theater attendance and other aspects of the union's activities.

1923-1934 1 box (.5 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish materials from the IATSE collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Machine Operators, Local Union No. 568,Columbus, Georgia (IATSE). (MC 20)

Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

These materials were loaned to the Archives in 1975 by Gary L. Brown for the purpose of microfilming by the Columbus College Chattahoochee Valley Historical Project. They were never retrieved by the Local, and are considered as being on permanent loan.

Box and Folder List

Box1

Folder 1 – Correspondence and Financial Records. 1923-1934.

Folder 2 – Treasurer's Cash Book. January 10, 1926-October 29, 1929.

Folder 3 – Minutes and Records of Regular, Special and Executive board meetings of Local Number 568. August 12, 1928-March 13, 1932.