Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

William C. Walton Photograph Collection (MC 113)


Scope and Content

This collection consists of two stereographic images of nineteenth century Columbus, Georgia, plus around 150 photos of famous places and monuments, mostly in Europe from circa 1900.

1860, 1880s, 1900s 1 box and 2 prints (1.1 l.f.)


Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the William C. Walton Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

William C. Walton Collection (MC 113)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Donated by Bill C. Walton of Muscogee 3-D Photgraphy in 1993.


Note to Researchers

The European photos are housed in the archives general collection, but the two Columbus-related prints have been placed in the Historical Photo Collection.


Box and Folder List


Box 1 – European Photos

Historic Photo Collection

Folder 178, Number 1344 – This is half of a stereograph looking east across Broad Street, between St Clair (now 11th St) and Randolph (now 12th St), about 1860. The church steeples are (1 to r) St Luke Methodist, Episcopal and First Presbyterian. The Episcopal Church no longer exists. The businesses shown are Saddlery and Harness Warehouse, owned by H. Middlebrook and Co, Hall and Moses Hardware Co, Dillingham and Denson Furniture Co and J & J Kyle Dry Good store. These 4 businesses are listed in the 1860 Columbus City Directory. The original stereograph is owned by Michael Griffith of Lilburn, Georgia. This copy was reproduced and donated by Bill C Walton, Columbus, Georgia.

Folder 178, Number 1345 – This is half of a stereograph looking northeast across Front Avenue from atop the Eagle Phenix Mill about 1880. The Pioneer Cooperative and Pioneer Store were located on Front Ave between Randolph (now 12th St) and Bryan Street (now 13th St). It was a wholesale grocery and liquor store, owned by I. Joseph Trunk Go. The building is still standing and serves as a warehouse for Raymond Rowe Furniture Co. The Planters Warehouse was located on Bryan St. A part of that building is still standing and the word Warehouse can still be read. The east-west named streets became numbered streets in 1885 so this stereograph was made prior to that date. The original stereograph is owned by Michael Griffith of Lilburn, Georgia. This copy was reproduced and donated by Bill C Walton, Columbus, Georgia.