Skip to Main Content

Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Carnegie Library Collection (MC 402)

Organizational Note

The Carnegie Library in downtown Columbus on Mott's Green was finished in 1907. It was part of the national program of libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie. In 1906, the city finally received a grant from the Carnegie fund for $30,000. Mrs. Nina Holstead was instrumental in securing these funds. She became the first librarian at the new library. The formal opening of the library was on October 15, 1907 at the northern end of Broadway on Mott's Green. The library served the city well until 1947 when it was sold to the Muscogee Manufacturing Company after decisions were made to move the library to a new location on Bradley Drive, part of the W.C. Bradley estate.

Scope and Content

This small collection consists of one Hollinger box and 17 folders.

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Carnegie Library collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Carnegie Library Collection (MC 402)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

These materials were given to the CSU Archives from the Columbus Museum on Aug. 25, 2016.

Note to Researchers

See also:

City of Progress, p. 374-375
Columbus on the Chattahoochee p. 303
A History of Columbus, Georgia, p. 251-253

Box and Folder List

Box 1

Folder 1: Lighting catalog and invoice from Deronda Levy, electrical contractor

Folder 2: List of supplies for public library; mending and binding, office supplies, furniture, janitor's supplies

Folder 3: Two letters between the chairman of the Library Committee and A.H. Andrews Co. about furniture for the library, Dec. 17 and 20, 1906

Folder 4: Contract between contractor and Lockwood architects, Feb.1, 1907, to be finished by Sept 1, 1907

Folder 5: Catalog for the Johnson Window Shade Adjuster and a letter from the Company, July 23, 1906

Folder 6: Two letters to the Converse Bridge Co. of Chattanooga about steel and Contractors, Dec. 17 and 20, 1906

Folder 7: Letter from C. Wilert to Mr. C. B. Gibson about an approach to building, June 26, 1907

Folder 8: Contract between Golucke & Co. and Board of Trustees, Columbus, as architects for library, July 14, 1906 ( 2 copies)

Folder 9: Contractor's bond between Hadlow co. and City of Columbus, March 8, 1907 for Carnegie Library

Folder 10: Estimate of library expenses for 1907

Folder 11: Letter to George Foster Peabody from the Executive Board and finance committee, no date, of the Civic Improvement League, concerning the placement
of the new library on the middle of Mott's Green rather than next to the Woodruff home.

Folder 12: Letter from Golucke & co. to C.B. Gibson, Superintendent of Schools, Aug. 20, 1906

Folder 13: Letter and catalog from Johnson's Window Shades, Sept. 14, 1908

Folder 14: Letters ( 4) between the Hadlow Co. and C.B.Gibson and G. Gunby Jordan, President of the Board of Trustees of the Public Library, Nov. 7 and 12, 1907

Folder 15: By-Laws of the Carnegie Library of Atlanta, adopted June 8, 1899, revised June 5, 1906 (2 copies)

Folder 16: Photo of Carnegie Library in flood, 1929 (copy)

Folder 17: Envelope from the city of Columbus with handwritten notes (empty)