Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Sisters of Mercy Collection (MC 75)

Organizational Note

The Sisters of Mercy Order was founded in Ireland in 1831 by Mother Catherine McAuley. Sisters of Mercy convents were opened in the United States in Pittsburg, Pa (1843), in Chicago, Ill. (1846), in Providence, R.I. (1850), in St. Augustine, Fla. (1860) and in Columbus, Georgia (1862). In Columbus as elsewhere the Order ministered to the needs of the poor, sick and ignorant.

Scope and Content

In 1862 four members of the Sisters of Mercy order left St. Augustine for Columbus, in the midst of the Civil War. They established the St. Joseph's Convent in 1867 and immediately opened a school, which became St. Joseph's Academy. It closed in 1952. They later were associated with Pacelli High School in 1958 and St. Anne's Elementary School, founded in 1961.

The collection contains photocopies of secondary material about the Sisters of Mercy in general, a history of the order in Columbus (typescript, 17p.), and information about other Catholic organizations in Georgia and Columbus including the St. Joseph Academy and Convent.

early 1990s-1962 1 box (.3 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Sisters of Mercy Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Sisters of Mercy Collection (MC 75)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

There is not a signed accession sheet but the file notes that the Sisters of Mercy, Holy \Family church were the donors.


Box and Folder List

Box 1

Folder 1 – History of the Holy Family Church, Columbus, Georgia

Folder 2 – Notes on History of St. Joseph Covent, Columbus, Georgia 1952-1962. Compiled from their chronicle.

Folder 3 – List of Superiors who served at St. Joseph Convent, Columbus, Ga. 1862-1962.

Folder 4 – Xeroxed copy of a letter.

Folder 5 – Minutes of Holy Family Parishioners, St. Joseph Academy, Feb, 14, 1949; March 1, 1949.

Folder 6 – The Catholic Week, Oct.25, 1952

Folder 7 – The 100 Years (a play)

Folder 8 – A Classroom Scene (a play)

Folder 9 – Excerpt from Columbus on the Chattahoochee (sketch of Holy Family Church and the Catholic Sisters of Mercy), by Etta Blanchard Worsley. pp.149-150.

Folder 10 – Pictures of St. Joseph Convent and Holy Parochial School

Folder 11 – McKervey, Sister Mary Aquin, The coming of Mother McAuley's Sister of Mercy to the Diocese of Savannah (1862) and happenings up to 1925.

Folder 12 – Ryan, E. A., The Sisters of Mercy; an important chapter in church history.

Folder 13 – Petran, Eleanore, The Quality of mercy; a history of the Sisters of Mercy in Columbus, Georgia, 1862-1962.