Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

First African Baptist Church Collection (SMC 39)


Organizational Note

According to the history of the church which comprises this collection, the Baptist church in Columbus began when 12 persons, 11 white and a slave named Joseph, assembled in a room on Broad Street to organize a church on February 14, 1829. The first church building was built in 1830 at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 12th Street, permitting black and white to worship together under one roof. In 1840, after building a new building, the First Baptist Church gave their old building to their black congregants for a house of worship. These people organized the African Baptist Church. The second building of the church was located at the corner of St. Clair (now called 11th Street) and Front Avenue. It was built in 1862 at a cost of 800 dollars. The cost of lot, $250, was paid by the First Baptist Church. Beginning with the construction of this building, the pastors were ministers of color . After that building was destroyed by fire, a new brick building was constructed in 1881 at the corner of 11th Street and 6th Avenue, where Golden Foundry and Machine Company later stood. The fourth building at 901 Fifth Avenue was occupied in 1915 and formally named the First African Baptist Church. Due to “frictions and factions”, three other churches were formed between 1889 and 1908, the Metropolitan Baptist Church 1890, the Friendship Baptist church in 1906 and the Mt. Tabor Baptist church in 1908.


Scope and Content

This collection consists of two items. The first is a photocopy of a 39 page typewritten history of the church from 1840 until 1940, including a directory of church members, committees, etc. The second is a program of the church women's Day of October 12, 1986.

1980-1986 1 folder (.1 l.f.)


Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the First African Baptist Church Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

First African Baptist Church Collection (SMC 39)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Given by the church in 1989.


Folder List

Folder 1 – History of the church from 1840 until 1980 and church service program, 1980-1986.