Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Saint James C.M.E. Church Collection (SMC 41)


Organizational Note

The pre-1919 history of Saint James C.M.E. Church is vague. According to their church history, African-American Methodists of Chattahoochee County initially worshiped in a “bush arbor” structure, made of sticks and brush from about 1832. After some years, they built a log cabin on land made available by a Mr. Vanhorn, who later gave them lumber to build a wooden church. In 1918 the government acquired the land (presumably for what became Ft. Benning) and the church had no place to meet other than borrowed venues until 1920, when they occupied a deserted house in Muscogee County. After that they relocated to St. Mary's Road for a while, until they built a small wooden church on Dawson Drive. In 1959 they built a brick structure on Dixon Drive and in 1961 they laid the cornerstone of their present building on Northstar Drive in Columbus, Georgia.


Scope and Content

The collection consists of a brief history of St. James C.M.E. Church from its beginnings in the 19th century in Chattahoochee County, Georgia up to the 1980s, and a program from its 127 anniversary service on May 24, 1959.


Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Saint James C.M.E. Church Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Saint James C.M.E. Church Collection (SMC 41)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus, Georgia


Provenance

Given by the church in 1989.


Folder List

Folder 1 – History of the church and program of its 127 anniversary service, May 24, 1959