Columbus State University Print Logo

CSU Archives

CSU Archives

Lorena Hall/Augusta Moore Collection (SMC 96)

Biographical and Historical Note

Lorena Hall was a "select school for girls" in Columbus, Georgia, located at 1133 2nd Avenue.  It was established in the fall of 1911 by Miss Jessie Snyder.  She and her sisters first established the Columbus Seminary, occupying the Phelps home on 11th Street, opposite the YMCA.  The school flourished and soon outgrew its surroundings and was divided.  Miss Rosa Snyder retained the seminary name and located her school on 12th Street.  Miss Jessie Snyder remained at the old Snyder home and named her school "Lorena Hall" in memory of her mother.  After the death of Miss Rosa, the Seminary disbanded and many of the students became pupils of Lorena Hall.  The school closed after graduation in 1925 due to the decline of Miss Jessie's health.  The building would be turned into an apartment house.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of one "School Friendship Book" belonging to Augusta Irene Moore.  This book contains pictures, cards, notes, clippings about Augusta's classmates and herself.  This provides a detailed account of a schoolgirl's life and fashion of the early 1920's in Columbus, Georgia. Augusta lived at 1125 4th Avenue in Columbus.  Also included is a 1913 edition of The Cricket, the yearbook.

1924                       1 folder (.1 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Lenora Hall/Augusta Moore Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives.  Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Lorena Hall/Augusta Moore Collection (SMC 96)
Columbus State University Archives
Columbus State University
Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

This collection came to the CSU Archives when the Columbus Public Library closed its archival collection and donated it to the CSU Archives in March 2014.

Folder list

Folder 1 – School Friendship Book, 1924

Folder 2 – The Cricket, 1913